Emil Boerner was the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy’s first Dean and is credited with creation of the modern-day college. He received his early education in Iowa and graduated from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy in 1876. He returned to Iowa to open the Boerner Pharmacy that same year. In 1880, he and the President of the Iowa State Pharmaceutical Association urged UI officials to establish a pharmacy education program. The first class of 12 men and one woman enrolled in 1885, with Boerner serving as its sole faculty member. Students took other courses, such as botany and chemistry, in other University departments. Under Boerner’s leadership, the college moved to the new Hall of Pharmacy and Chemistry on the corner of Dubuque Street and Iowa Avenue in 1891.