Pharmacy Students Participate in Jakobsen Graduate Conference
On March 29, graduate students from around the University, including the College of Pharmacy, participated in the 16th Annual James F. Jakobsen Graduate Conference.
The Jakobsen Conference is an annual conference for University of Iowa graduate students, organized by fellow graduate students. Held each spring semester, the Jakobsen Conference provides a well-attended, public forum for oral and poster presentations.
In the Biological and Health Sciences division, two students from the College of Pharmacy received awards. Sheetal D'mello received second place for her poster presentation, “The Enhancement of Bone Regeneration by Gene Activated Matrix Encoding for Platelet Derived Growth Factor,” and Jacob Simmering received third place for his oral presentation, “Inter-Hospital Patient Sharing as a Mechanism of Disease Diffusion.”
In total 18 students from the College of Pharmacy participated.
- Megan Kelchen: “Beta-Caryophyllene as a Novel Topical Treatment for Osteoarthritis Pain Beta-Caryophyllene as a Novel Topical Treatment for Osteoarthritis Pain” (M.N. Kelchen, N. Leelakanok, A. Wongrakpanich, K. Sluka, A.K. Salem, N.K. Brogden)
- Rakesh Awasthi: “Prediction of THC Plasma and Brain Concentrations following Marijuana Administration: Approach and Challenges”
Cellular Physiology and Biodegradation
- Bhanu Bejgum: “Uptake and Transport Pathways for Ultrafine Nanoparticles (Quantum Dots) in the Nasal Mucosa”
- Vijaya Joshi: “Biodegradable Polymeric Particle Vaccine Against House Dust Mite Allergen”
- Mai Tu: “Functionalized Polymeric Particles for Targeted Delivery to the Lung Epithelium”
Epidemiology and Global Health
- Jacob Simmering: “Inter-Hospital Patient Sharing as a Mechanism of Disease Diffusion”
Biologic and Health Sciences Poster Presentations
- Kawther Ahmed: “Assembly and Characterization of a Cell-particle Hybrid as a Potential Cancer Vaccine”
- Wisam Al-Bakri: “Characterization of Atrazine Transport and Effects on Bovine Nasal Tissues”
- Youwei Bi: “Population Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic (PK/PD) Modeling of Depot Testosterone Cypionate in Healthy Male Subjects”
- Sheetal D'mello: “The Enhancement of Bone Regeneration by Gene Activated Matrix Encoding for Platelet Derived Growth Factor”
- Ana Ferreira: “Pharmacy Expression and Activity of the LAT-2 Transporter in Bovine Nasal Mucosa”
- Sachin Gharse: “Development of Novel Inhalation Formulations for Eradication of Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Biofilms”
- Bharath Gowdampally: “Quantitative Analysis of Proteins and Phospholipids in Infasurf”
- Denison Kurvilla: “Pharmacy Evaluation of In-Utero Erythropoiesis in Preterm Infants”
- Nattawut Leelakanok: “Pharmacy Diclofenac-loaded PLGA Particles for Improved Topical Treatment of Actinic Keratosis
- Daniel Schenck: “Pharmacy Static Analysis of Microparticle Submersion into Lung Relevant Viscoelastic Fluids”
- Amaraporn Wongrakpanich: “Mitochondria Targeted PLGA Particles that Protect Against Myocardial Cell Death”
- Hui Zu: “Solubility and Dissolution Characteristics of an Acetaminophen Cocrystal"