Thank you for your interest in precepting for the University of Iowa. If you have questions regarding becoming a preceptor or setting up your practice site, please contact Jackie Thompson-Oster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To set up a site, you will need to do the following:
- Determine what type of experience you will offer. Review guidelines below.
- Complete all necessary paperwork. Download forms below.
- Participate in our preceptor training program
- Send us a professional photo to be added to your profile in the rotation database system (optional).
SITE AND PRECEPTOR FORMS/PAPERWORK
Please submit these forms and any applicable documents to the Professional Experience Program at:
Email (Preferred Method): email@example.com
Mail: 115 S. Grand Avenue, S411 PHAR, Iowa City, IA 52242.
- Preceptor Information Form (Fill Out Electronic Version)(Print Paper Version)
- CV or Resume (CV Template)
- Preceptor Training Program (View Preceptor Continuing Education Instructions) After submitting your Information Form and CV, you will receive logins for E*Value (our rotation database system) where you can access the required Preceptor Training Program. We require all preceptors to complete our initial training program, "Preceptor Development Core Modules". This program will provide valuable information specific to The University of Iowa College of Pharmacy Professional Experience Program. Free Continuing Education (CE) credit will be given with its completion.
- Professional Photo: Send us a professional photo to be added to your profile in the rotation database system (this step is optional). Ideal size is 135 px by 160 px or as small/close to these dimensions as possible.
- Site Description (View Site Description Form) This form is for sites who have not previously hosted University of Iowa Pharm.D. students. The information in this form will be used to create a site description for student viewing. This helps students know what to expect when they come to your site. In addition to the information in this form, additional documents such as a syllabus, health system required forms, etc. can be uploaded to a site description.
GUIDELINES FOR ESTABLISHING YOUR PRACTICE EXPERIENCE
Below are some guidelines for establishing your practice experience and items to consider before the student arrives at your practice site.
Orientation: Please ensure that each student pharmacist has an appropriate orientation to the site and is introduced to individuals at the practice site. Try to not assume they know where they are and what they are supposed to do even if they have completed several experiences.
Setting expectations: Setting expectations at the beginning of the experience can set the tone for the rest of the experience. Meeting with the student pharmacist on the first or second day to review the expectations and set goals for the experience is ideal. You can also review areas that he or she may need to work on during the experience. Be sure to ask the student to see his or her self-assessment. This may help you identify areas on which to concentrate during the experience.
Feedback: Student pharmacists should be given feedback on a regular basis on their performance. At a minimum, student pharmacists should have a midpoint and a final evaluation. During this time, you can discuss strengths and areas for improvement. You can also set new goals and expectations for the student pharmacist at this time.
Evaluations: Evaluations must be completed in a timely manner in order to meet the deadline for grade submission with the University’s Registrar. Evaluations should be completed by the Wednesday following the end of the rotation. All evaluations can be found in the E*Value website.