About Grinnell Regional Medical Center (GRMC):
GRMC is a 49 bed regional medical center, located halfway between Des Moines and Iowa City on Interstate 80. GRMC is a level III trauma center, and offers a full scope of services including outpatient chemotherapy infusion services, an ICU, general medical, surgical and obstetrics.
A staff pharmacist is focused on the delivery of pharmaceutical care to patients of all ages and acuity levels. Performs comprehensive assessments and analysis of medication therapy in partnership with all care providers. Responsible for continual evaluation and documentation of all pharmaceutical care provided to patients. Has the ability to assess and interpret medical data relative to the patient’s condition, and provide that information and recommendations to appropriate patient care team members. Oversees the activities of the pharmacy technicians, coordinating workflow and checking all medications prepared and dispensed. Follows state and federal laws as they pertain to the practice of pharmacy.
- Review medication orders for appropriateness and completeness. Contacts provider with suggestions or clarification of medication orders. Documents these encounters and the outcome. Complies with the formulary, and offers providers formulary alternatives to non-formulary requests.
- Make use of clinical skills and judgment when preparing recommendations to providers, which ensures safety, efficiency, quality and cost containment.
- Enters or verifies medication orders in the pharmacy information system in an accurate and timely manner. Reviews patient profiles to ensure significant interactions, duplications or incompatibilities do not exist.
- Prepares and dispenses medications IV admixtures and chemotherapy after training has been completed.
- Ensures accurate records are maintained for controlled substance inventories, emergency kits and audits.
- Participate in pharmacy quality studies.
- Abides by GRMC’s core values: Integrity, Compassion, Cooperative Spirit, Innovation and Service
- Pharmacy degree (BS or Pharm.D.) from an ACPE approved college of pharmacy.
- Licensed, or eligible for licensure, pharmacist in the state of Iowa.
- Must possess good organization and problem solving skills.
- Basic understanding of electronic health records, Microsoft applications and automated dispensing technology.
- This position requires interaction with all levels of staff and patients, so both good written and verbal skills are important.
- Prior inpatient hospital experience.
- ACLS certification or other certifications and/or experience.