About Health Systems Pharmacy
Health-system pharmacy is pharmacy practice in the following areas:
- Ambulatory care clinics
- Homecare/long-term care facilities
- Health maintenance organizations
- Universities and academic health centers
- Government and unifromed services
- Other components of the health system
The most common setting for health-system pharmacists is a traditional hospital, but this could be in a rural setting or a large academic medical center, and anything in between. Another growing area is ambulatory care clinics. Here, pharmacists directly interact with patients seeking treatment for conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, and hypercholesterolemia. Pharmacists working in home care and long term care focus mainly on the elderly population. They perform drug regimen reviews and monitor for medication-related problems and inappropriate therapy while interacting directly with patients and other health care professionals. Another setting that health-system pharmacists play an important role in is that of health maintenance organizations. Here, pharmacists are involved in formulary and disease state management as well as claims processing and adjudication. As faculty members at universities and academic health centers, health-system pharmacists play an active role in the education and training of future pharmacists and may also contribute to clinical research and drug development. Government positions are also available for pharmacists with opportunities in the Air Force, Army, Navy, and the U.S. Public Health Service.
Our mission is to:
Stimulate student interest in health-system pharmacy
Inform students about pertinent matters affecting the pharmacy profession
Enhance personal and professional development
Benefit the community with student-provided services
It is UI-SHP's goal to complete these tasks and better prepare pharmacy students for a future career in health-system pharmacy.
UI-SHP is the University of Iowa Student Society of Health-System Pharmacists. It is a recognized student society of the national organization, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). This organization exposes students to the many opportunities available to them in health-system pharmacy. It also allows pharmacy students to learn more about opportunities after graduation, such as residency programs and fellowships. Students will be exposed to ways to enhance their leadership ability, provide service to the community, and improve their networking skills.
What We Do
UI-SHP performs many activities throughout the year, such as:
- Inviting clinical pharmacists to speak at monthly meetings about their career paths and job responsibilities.
- Annually hosting a national speaker to discuss major issues affecting the profession.
- Co-presenting a CV and resume night, where students learn the skills of writing an effective CV and/or resume.
- Coordinating a residency night to allow students to talk with residency directors and residents in the area. This event gives students the opportunity to learn more about the process of obtaining a residency and the skills required to complete a successful interview.
- Hosting a rotations night, where P4 students share thir rotation experiences and advice.
- Assisting students in attending the annual ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting.
- Planning local service events in the community, including medication safety presentations.
The benefits of becoming a member of UI-SHP are numerous and include:
- Subscription to the American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy and the electronic ASHP Daily Briefing
- Discounted rates to meetings held by ASHP
- Eligibility to compete in the Clinical Skills Competition and earn free registration to the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Increased exposure to health-system pharmacy
- Networking opportunities with practising clinicians
- IPPE 4 credit leadership and service opportunities
- Residency preparation
- And more!
Become a Member
The UI-SHP membership drive is held in the fall. Membership dues are $55, which includes membership to UI-SHP and the national organization, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP).
President: Fischer Herald
President Elect: Levi Gates
Vice President of Finance: Gavin Meyer
Fundraising Chair: Brittany Weiland
VP of Service: Christian Askren
VP of Communications/Media: Matthew Busalacchi
Director of Professional Development: Christopher Fox
Advisor: David Weetman