Deanna L McDanel, PharmD, BCPS, BCACP
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science / Division of Applied Clinical Sciences
- Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Ambulatory Care, Department of Pharmaceutical Care
- Program Director, PGY2 Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Specialized Residency, Department of Pharmaceutical Care
- Program Coordinator, PGY1 Pharmacy Residency with a Focus in Ambulatory Care, Department of Pharmaceutical Care
- Faculty, Secondary Appointment, Department of Department of Internal Medicine / Division of Division of Immunology - Subdivision of Allergy/Immunology
Deanna L McDanel Headlines
Dr. McDanel is a Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy and a Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in Ambulatory Care at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC). Dr. McDanel obtained this position after graduating with PharmD degree from the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy in 2001. Dr. McDanel subsequently completed an ASHP-Accredited Specialized Residency in Primary Care at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in 2002. She has been a Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist since 2004 and a Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist since 2012. She also is the Program Director of the PGY2 Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Residency and Residency Coordinator for the PGY1 Pharmacy Residency with a Focus in Ambulatory Care at UIHC. Her current clinical practice sites include the Anticoagulation, Drug Allergy and Allergy/Immunology Clinics.
Dr. McDanel's current practice sites are within the Immunology Division and the Anticoagulation Case Management Service (ACMS) at UIHC. She holds a secondary appointment as the only clinical pharmacy specialist in the Allergy/Immunology Clinic and Drug Allergy Clinic and has been with the division since 2002. She has dedicated patient appointments for evaluating penicillin drug allergy through skin testing. She also has served as a specialist in anticoagulation since 2001. The ACMS is a pharmacist-managed service provided under a Hospital Based Protocol with referring providers for primary care patients with established care in the clinics of General Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Cardiology, Orthopedics, and the Cardiomyopathy Treatment Program. There are currently 900 patients enrolled in this service.