Resources to get you Started
Being a mentor is a valuable and rewarding experience for all involved. Seasoned pharmacists may share their expertise with students, opening their eyes to real world best practices, career opportunities, and practical advice. Mentors have the reward of helping to shape the future of young pharmacists, and the profession itself.
- Email the student two or three times a semester with pharmacy news, issues, and hurdles specific to your practice.
- Invite the student to lunch either in your hometown or perhaps in Iowa City and discuss career paths.
- Ask the student about their lives, become interested in their accomplishments, develop an interpersonal relationship.
- Invite the student to a meeting, rally, or conference taking place in your pharmacy/practice or even community.
- If you are an Iowa Pharmacy Association member, encourage them to attend an event and meet with them before or after the event for coffee.
- Share an article you deem valuable or interesting that has to do with leadership or time management.
The following mentoring resources are also available: