Congratulations to the following individuals who were recognized by their colleagues and peers for contributions to patient care, community involvement, professional commitment, and leadership at the 2019 Iowa Pharmacy Association Annual Meeting.
• Connie Connolly, ’92 BSPh, 2019-2020 President
• Diane Reist, ’91 BSPh, PharmD, 2019-2020 President-Elect
• Ashley Dohrn, ’06 PharmD, ’07 R, Pharmacy Specialist, Centralized Health Care Solutions (CHS), College of Pharmacy, 2019–2020 Speaker of the House
• Marilyn Osterhaus, ’80 BSPh, Maquoketa, Iowa – Bowl of Hygeia Award
One of the most prestigious awards in the pharmacy profession, the Bowl of Hygeia recognizes a pharmacist who has demonstrated a sustained commitment to community service. The award is part of a national awards program co-sponsored by the National Alliance of State Pharmacy Associations (NASPA) and the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) to recognize outstanding community service, with one recipient chosen from each state every year. Iowa’s recipient is chosen each year by a committee of civic leaders from across the state. Osterhaus co-owns and operates Osterhaus Pharmacy in Maquoketa.
• Wesley Pilkington, ’11 PharmD, Waterloo, Iowa – Distinguished Young Pharmacist
This award recognizes a pharmacist within their first 10 years of practice for their involvement and dedication to the pharmacy profession. The award was created to encourage young pharmacists’ participation in association and community activities and is part of a national awards program co-sponsored by Pharmacists Mutual and state pharmacy associations. Pilkington is the pharmacist in charge at Evans Crossing Pharmacy in Evansdale, Iowa.
• Angie Hoth, ’92 BSPh, PharmD, MPH, Iowa City Iowa – Excellence in Innovation
The Excellence in Innovation Award recognizes pharmacists who have demonstrated significant innovation in their respective practices. Hoth is the TelePrEP project manager at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The TelePrEP project provides HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis to Iowans through a telemedicine program and includes several stakeholders including the Iowa Department of Public Health.
• Sharon Cashman, ’78 BSPh, Waverly, Iowa – Health-System Pharmacist of the Year
The Health-System Pharmacist of the Year Award is a national awards program that recognizes a health-system pharmacist who demonstrates service to the pharmacy profession (specifically hospital pharmacy), contributes to pharmacy programs, cooperates with the entire health care team, and is involved in service to the community. Cashman is the pharmacy manager at Waverly Health Center in Waverly, Iowa.
• Mohammed Fredericks, PharmD Candidate 2020 – Jerry M. Karbeling Leadership Award
The Karbeling Leadership Award is a tribute to the leadership and service of the late Jerry Karbeling. The award reflects Karbeling’s passion for involvement in professional organizations and the political process. Recipients are third-year student pharmacists.
• Chelsea McIntire, ’18 PharmD; Diane Reist, ’91 BSPh, PharmD, and Jordan Schultz, ’13 PharmD, Assistant Professor, College of Pharmacy – Poster Presentation Award
"Improving Transitions from Hospital to Home through Expanded Discharge Communication Between Pharmacy Providers"
• A special tribute to given to pharmacists who have achieved 50 years of professional practice and service to the people of Iowa. Left to right: Ray Buser, '69 BSPh, Larry Roehrkasse, '69 BSPh, Chuck Dayton, '69 BSPh, Ken Bear, '68 BSPh, Larry Brummel, '69 BSPh, and Nancy Wallen, '68 BSPh (seated).