Residencies for UI College of Pharmacy Graduates
An increasing number of our new PharmD graduates are entering into pharmacy residency training programs.
A pharmacy residency is an organized, directed training program in a defined area of pharmacy practice for PharmD graduates. Preceptors are skilled practitioners who mentor residents at their workplaces. Residents gain confidence and practical experience working with patients. Residencies usually last a year, and residents complete a Postgraduate Year One (PGY1) program, before potentially moving on to a PGY2 program.
Residencies are available in community pharmacies, ambulatory clinics, hospitals, or other sites. You can find residents working to improve patient care at community pharmacies, as a vital member of a hospital health care team, or even on Capitol Hill bringing grassroots pharmacists’ messages to the masses.
UI College of Pharmacy-administered Residency Programs
The college administers two pharmacy residency programs:
- A seven-site PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Program
- A PGY2 Pain Management and Palliative Care Pharmacy Residency Program
UI Pharmacy Residency Opportunities
Faculty and preceptors are often shared between residency programs at the College of Pharmacy and the Department of Pharmaceutical Care of the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC).
Between the college and the UIHC, the UI offers the following pharmacy residency programs:
- The PGY1 in Community Pharmacy Practice (mentioned above)
- The PGY2 in Pain Management and Palliative Care Pharmacy (mentioned above)
- The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics' (UIHC's):
- PGY1 Pharmacy program
- PGY1 and PGY2 in Ambulatory Care
- PGY1 and PGY2 in Health-System Pharmacy Administration
- PGY2 in Emergency Medicine Pharmacy
- PGY2 in Pediatric Pharmacy
- PGY2 in Oncology Pharmacy
- PGY2 in Psychiatric Pharmacy
In addition to residency programs administered by the UIHC and UI College of Pharmacy, many of the pharmacy residencies across the state of Iowa are UI-affiliated. The following UI-affiliated residencies have faculty members from our college:
For More Information
- Residency Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Choosing a Residency / Additional Online Residency Resources
- Fall 2016 HawkScripts Magazine article: UI College of Pharmacy Grads Securing Highly Sought-After Residencies
- Please visit the Residency Opportunities section our Employment Page to apply for a residency.